King Louie to be featured at talent show

Kevin Hall, Staff Reporter

Chicago hip-hop artist King Louie will be the grand finale for the fourth annual Nupes at the Apollo talent show Saturday from 5 p.m. until 9 p.m. in the University Ballroom in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Proper planning, persistence, and patience were the key factors for the men of Kappa Alpha Psi in planning their fourth annual Nupes at the Apollo talent show, Eric Echols, Kappa Alpha Psi Theta Gamma chapter president said.

Tickets went on sell Wednesday at the Box Office in the Union for $20, and ticket sales will be closed off 3 p.m. Friday.

Different from most campus events, Nupes at the Apollo will be exclusive to Eastern students only. In order to ensure the safety of the students and gain the trust of the university, Malcolm Jackson, Kappa Alpha Psi treasurer, said.

Both the Kappas and the administration have agreed, in order to attend this event one must be a currently enrolled student at Eastern.

Performances will consist of acts such as singing, poetry, and rapping. Each act will perform once in hopes to win the grand prize, in which the organization has yet to announce. The student performances will precede the main show, King Louie’s performance.

King Louie was the choice of artist for the show in order to bring something big to the campus Orlando Thomas said, a Kappa member.

“The campus hasn’t had too many events like this hosted by Blacks besides union parties, and we just saw this as an opportunity to bring something to the campus and show our appreciation to the student body.” Thomas said.

Though posed as a talent show, this event is also a fundraiser for breast cancer awareness month.

The Kappas are celebrating their annual Kappa Kares week, and this event is only one of several events they will host throughout the week. The proceeds from the tickets will be donated to assisting the wife of one of their fraternity brothers. Having been diagnosed with breast cancer, Heidi Adams and her breast cancer operation are one of the main reasons for the event.

Although only a portion of her $10,000 bill, the Kappas had no problem trying to assist their fraternity brother raise money, Echols said.

“We try our best to do community service and we when doing it we mainly try to affect people directly,” Echols said.

Kevin Hall can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].