Untold Truth hosting tryouts for Wildin’ Out

Kevin Hall, Staff Reporter

Rapping, singing, and an assortment of other talents will be on display at Eastern’s first EIU’s Wildin’ Out featuring up and coming Chicago rap artist Lil Bibby. The show will be taking place at 8 p.m. Saturday in the University Ballroom in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Tickets are on sale for $15 and are available to be purchased from any member of the Untold Truth executive board or Antwione Smith, Twon’s Kitchen founder, the other host of the event.

The two organizations decided to collaborate on this event in order to create something that could possibly impact the entire campus. EIU Wildin’ Out is a show with performances, including students across Eastern’s campus performing different forms of artistic expression, such as comedy, as well as two dance performances by Eastern’s dance teams Rhythm & X-tacy and Idioctic Jive. The dance teams will be competing for a $100 cash prize.

Performances by the students will only be a portion of the entire show. After they finish, Lil Bibby will take the stage. Performing the last 30 minutes of the show, Lil Bibby will be the grand finale of the night.

Lil Bibby, recently releasing his mix tape titled “Free Crack 2”, was one of the top choices for the two organizations when deliberating on the event.

“The event is a variety show, and what it does is allow upcoming artists the chance to network, seeing as though he’s a pretty mainstream artist now after his new mix-tape.” Smith said.

Even though they have been planning the show since the summer, the Untold Truth and Twon’s Kitchen both made the decision to host tryouts Thursday.

Farrah Dean, the Untold Truth special events coordinator, said they wanted the tryouts close to the show in order to insure the opportunity for all students to get a chance to showcase their talents.

Also, along with performances by Lil Bibby and Eastern students, the show will be co-hosted with rapper and comedian, Vomar and Chris Carter.

“The Untold Truth just wants to inspire other RSOs in taking chances in having larger events for the campus such as this.” Seve Day, Untold Truth president said.

Janae Houser, the Untold Truth secretary, said they are attempting to build upon the image of the black community.

“Through hosting a successful event, it can possibly make better for the future,” Houser said.

Kevin Hall can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].