Tailgating brings families back to campus for Family Weekend

Samantha Middendorf, Entertainment Editor

The smell of barbecue and the sound of laughter engulfed the tailgating area outside O’Brien Field Saturday.

For some, this tailgate was just another typical Saturday activity to accompany their football season.

For others, it was the chance to reunite with family members and watch Eastern’s football team win its first game of the season.

Steve Bridges, an ’85 Eastern alum, attended the tailgate with his daughters Lizzie, a freshman English major, and Diane, a senior clinical laboratory sciences major.

Steve Bridges said being a former student at Eastern makes coming to go to football games and visit his daughters that much more special.

“We try to come down when we can, usually a couple times,” he said.

Diane Bridges said she tries to go to as many games as she can, no matter if her father is with her or not.

“I usually go to at least a couple a year with my friends,” she said.  “It gives us something to do on the weekends.”

Steve Bridges said he most enjoys the food at the tailgate.

Diane Bridges said she enjoys spending time with friends at the games when her family is not with her.

“I like watching the marching band because I knew some people that have been in it,” she said.  “My friends and I will come as a group and hang out and then go out to eat afterwards.  It’s a social thing.”

Steve Bridges had to return home before enjoying the Family Weekend entertainer, Sinbad, but he said he did not think he was missing out on much.

“Just being with the kids is a good time,” he said.

Those in attendance could find free entertainment through the many inflatables, yard games, mechanical bull and local bands playing family-friendly music.

Samantha Middendorf  (@Samantha_EE) can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]