Booth to bring back “The Spirit of Motown”

Samantha Middendorf, Entertainment Editor

Students, staff, faculty and Charleston residents can take a trip back to the Motown Era of U.S. history with The Temptations and Marvin Gaye at 2 p.m. Sunday at Booth Library.

Jose Sandoval, an Illinois Humanities Council Road Scholars Speakers Bureau member, will be giving a presentation, The Spirit of Motown, focusing on the era and the music that developed during it.

The presentation will be based upon the music scene in Detroit during the early 1960s and Motown records founder Berry Gordy.

Gordy was behind hits such as, “My Girl,” “I Heard it Through the Grapevine,” and “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.”

The records Gordy produced resulted in more number one hits than the Beach Boys, The Beatles, Elvis Presley and the Rolling Stones combined.

Jose Sandoval is a graduate of Harvard and is currently a professional performing musician and music educator.

“The Spirit of Motown,” is funded by a grant from the Illinois Humanities Council.

David Bell, faculty member of reference services at Booth Library, said the exhibits that go along with the exhibition “Revolutionary Decade: Reflections on the 1960s” have been in the works for months.

“Many people have put a great deal of time and effort into putting this exhibition together, and I think it shows in the high quality of the final product,” he said.

“The Spirit of Motown” is free to the public.

Booth will be hosting many events throughout the course of the 1960s exhibition.

The next presentation will be “The Other Side of the ‘60s: Hidden Dimensions of One of America’s Most Significant Decades.”

The presentation will be at 4 p.m. Sept. 23 in Room 4440 in Booth Library.

Lynne Curry, a history professor, Debra Reid, a history professor, and Charles Titus, assistant professor emeritus of history, will be giving the presentation.

Samantha Middendorf can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].