New Thai restaurant to take spot on Lincoln Avenue

Steven Kinnison

A new Thai restaurant, Saim Thai Cuisine, is expected to open by the end of September, which is located where Planet Weiner used to be.

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

Charleston residents will be welcoming a new Thai restaurant into the community by the end of September.

Siam Thai Cuisine, a family-operated restaurant owned by Paul and Lily Jisook, has moved into the vacant space left by Planet Weiner.

Jisook said she and her husband moved their family restaurant from Effingham to Charleston because of its student population and because she wants to share their Thai cuisine with the residents of Charleston.

“I have spicy food prepared for them and it’s healthy,” Jisook said with a smile.

Charleston already has a selection of Asian cuisine with Magic Wok, QQ Buffet and T Garden Thai Restaurant, but Jisook said they will not have any competition with the other restaurants. Some might not like the food at T Garden, which will allow two different options for residents, Jisook said.

Jisook said she and her husband are still currently preparing the menu, but lunch will be no more than $6.50 with dinner being around $8.95 for greater amounts of food.

She and her husband also know the owners of T Garden, which has its liquor license. The new restaurant will not be applying for the license.

There are some similarities with Asian cuisine as well as differences.

Jisook said Chinese food is usually sweeter and Thai food is spicier. She said their food will come in mild, medium, spicy and hot.

Jisook said their restaurant would be open seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]