BSU to host date night

Roberto Hodge, Multicultural Editor

In order to raise money for Essence of A Man 2014, Black Student Union will be hosting its annual Date Auction at 6 p.m. Friday in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The winner of Essence of a Man will run for homecoming king.

Currently, the BSU has raised $2,500 for Essence of a Man, a pageant for African American males.

Kendel Fields, the BSU vice president, said aside from the fundraising aspect of the auction, it is a way for students to have fun going into their weekends.

The event will run like a normal auction with money being bid toward both males and females.

Fields said students who wanted to participate in the auction had to fill out an application answering questions about their year, major, interests and what they enjoy doing.

“We actually advertise them,” Fields said.

Angela Davis, the BSU community service chair, said the students can dress up and wear whatever they want as long as it is respectable and everyone is having fun.

Fields said the auction is targeted specifically at freshman so they can get more acquainted with the organization and the Eastern community.

Davis explained that BSU is going through a rebranding process to get back to their community service roots.

“Other than parties, it’s one of the interactive events students can engage in,” Davis said.

Not a stranger to the auction, Fields said he participated when he was freshman and went on the date, which he said the participants do not have to do.

Fields said they are hoping to see around 150 people at the event, which is free to the students.

“It’s an event you can go to before you start your Friday night,” Fields said.

Roberto Hodge can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].