City council approves tuck-pointing bid

Stephanie Markham, News Editor

The Charleston City Council approved a bid for about $56,000 for the tuck-pointing of stone arch bridges on Sixth, Seventh and Ninth streets Tuesday.

Mayor Larry Rennels said the council chose the lowest bidder, Ed Carter Construction, which is based in Charleston, for $56,209.

“Those stone arch bridges are historic structures,” Rennels said. “They are very old, and the mortar between the joints in some of the stones over the years deteriorates, and tuck-pointing replaces that mortar so that it will preserve the structure for years to come.”

Rennels said construction of the bridge on Sixth Street begun three weeks ago, and he suspects all three will be completed by the fall.

“There’s quite a process,” Rennels said.

Because the structures are historic, the materials used have to be approved by an upstate agency so that the bridges look the same as they did before and are structurally sound, Rennels said.

Additionally, the council placed ordinances to disallow parking on Reynolds Drive and on Taylor Avenue between Ninth and 10th street on file for public inspection.

The council approved an agreement to provide labor for the construction of a concession and restroom building for the athletic fields in Charleston school district No.1.

The council also approved the closing of certain city streets for three parades in October: the Eastern Homecoming Parade, the Charleston High School Homecoming Parade and the Jefferson Grade School Halloween Parade.

The Charleston City Council will meet again at 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 16 in the council chambers of City Hall.

Stephanie Markham can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].