City Council to vote on tuck-pointing, no-parking zones

Blake Warman, City Editor

Charleston City Council plans to vote on a tuck-and-pointing construction project for the 7th Street and 10th Street Stone Arch Bridges Tuesday.

The construction is to “tuck-point” bridges. Tuck-pointing is the extraction and replacement of old mortar with new mortar.

These are two of three stone arch bridges located in Charleston. Local stonemason Alexander Briggs built the three bridges during the 1890s. These bridges were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001 and are the only stone arch bridges within the city.

The city council also looks to vote on no-parking zones around the newly renovated Reynolds Drive. These parking zones will run from Eden Drive to 323 north on West Reynolds, and Eden Drive to 277 north on East Reynolds.

The other parking zone will run from South Taylor from 9th Street to 10th Street.

Other topics on the agenda include the approval of constructing a concessions building for the local community school district. The construction project according to the agenda will not exceed the amount of $22,000.

Other topics include the approval of raffle licenses for the Charleston Booster Club and approval of street closures for the Eastern Homecoming and Charleston High School Homecoming parades.

The city council will meet 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in City Hall.

Blake Warman can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].