Union First Mid Bank to transition to U.S. Bank

Roberto Hodge

Roberto Hodge | The Daily Eastern News Grace Summers, a freshman kinesiology and sports studies major, is assisted by personal banker Michael Ethridge in the newly opened US Bank in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Blake Warman, City Editor

One of the changes Eastern students will see with the start of the fall semester is that U.S. Bank has replaced First Mid-Illinois Bank & Trust in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

With this new bank comes the many changes students will have to get used to. With the previous bank, students had the opportunity to use their Panther Card as a debit card to access their bank account via ATMs on campus.

Susan Woodyard, a staff clerk in the Panther Card office, said students with older Panther Cards soon will no longer be able to access ATMs. A specific date has not been announced.

U.S. Bank will not have a debit card system like First Mid. Students who currently have accounts with their Panther Cards will not be able to access them through any First Mid ATMs.

Amy Frantti, a corporate public relations representative for U.S. Bank, said she believes the bank has a lot to offer current students.

“Our goal is to earn your business now and do such a great job that we are your bank of choice for life,” she said.

Frantti said U.S. Bank’s biggest goal is making financial education a part of the learning experience.

In doing so, U.S. Bank plans to host free financial education sessions for students, faculty and staff throughout the year.

Participants will be informed on topics including saving money, budgeting and establishing credit, and making good financial choices now as well as in the future.

Frantti said the biggest convenience U.S. Bank offers to students is not just banking on campus, but also banking off campus in many students’ hometowns.

Frantti said U.S. Bank has a strong presence in Chicago and St. Louis.

She said U.S. Bank has received a very warm welcome from Eastern.

This welcome will be attributed through with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 11 a.m. on Sept. 9 in the University Ballroom in the Union.