City council to consider 5K run, road closures

Blake Warman, Staff Reporter

The Charleston city council will evaluate the possibility of a 5K and 1-Mile Fun Run-Walk which will take place near and around Eastern’s campus during its meeting on Tuesday.

The Piersen Strong 5K and 1- Mile Fun Run-Walk is a charitable event for the purpose of raising funds to offset future medical costs for Piersen Strong. A system of road closures is needed for the 5K Fun Run, which is what the council will be discussing during its meeting.

Among other things on the agenda is the purchase of two new cardiac monitors for the fire department to continue to provide advanced life support to the community.

After an investigation by the city staff, it was determined that specific equipment and options are necessary for the fire department to maintain its high level of service as well as economical and efficient treatment of cardiac patients.

Currently only one vendor, Zoll Medical Corporation, is able to provide the cardiac monitors with the specific capabilities required by the fire department.

Another topic on the agenda will be opening for the Construction of Revetment at the Charleston Side Channel Reservoir. The funding for this contract is coming from a grant from the IEPA and the WTP budget.

Public Works Director Curt Buescher said that the sole bid for the contract be accepted, which would be in the best interest for Charleston.

Other topics that will be discussed during the preceding’s will deal with multiple auditing claims.

Blake Warman can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].