3 candidates to interview for admissions director position

Bob Galuski, Editor-in-Chief

Three candidates will be making their way to Eastern’s campus to interview for the position of director of admissions.

Chuck Walz, the associate director of admissions, recruitment and operations at Northern Illinois University, will be arriving on campus Tuesday.

Walz will be meeting with the members of Eastern’s admissions director search committee at 9 a.m. Tuesday in the Witters Conference Room in Booth Library.

Following that, Walz will be meeting with President Bill Perry, Mary Herrington-Perry, the assistant vice president for academic affairs and enrollment management, Blair Lord, the provost and vice president for academic affairs, and the staff of the admissions office throughout the morning.

Walz will be with the Enrollment Worx committee members at 1 p.m. in the Witter’s Conference room and will meet with department chairs at 2 p.m.

An open session will convene at 3 p.m. in the Witters Conference Room for those who would like to speak with Walz.

Walz has been the associate director of admissions, recruitment and operations at Northern since 2012. Before that he was in enrollment and financial aid consulting at Northern from 2011-2012.

He also served as the director of admissions and financial aid at Calumet College of St. Joseph in Hammond, Ind., from 2002-2009.

Walz graduated from Northeastern Illinois University in 1998 with a master of arts in educational administration: community college level. He also earned his bachelor of arts in English and Spanish from the University of Iowa.

The next candidate will be arriving June 9.

Chris Dearth, who is currently the director of admissions at the State University of New York at Fredonia, Ny., will be the second candidate.

Dearth has served as director of admissions at the State University since 2007. Before that, he was the director of financial aid, veterans affairs and student conduct at the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey in Pomona, Nj.

Dearth earned his master of arts in leadership and liberal studies in 2004 from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh.

He also earned a bachelor of arts in business studies in 1997 from the Richard Stockton College.
Dearth will be keeping to the same structure of schedule as Walz.

Kathleen Berry, whose most recent position was regional admissions director at Universal Technical Institute in Lisle, Ny., and third candidate, was supposed to be on campus Monday.

However, Allen Lanham, the chair of the director of admissions search committee, said unforeseeable circumstances has forced her to reschedule. No rescheduled interview time has been set as of yet.

Lanham said the three candidates were selected from a “healthy pool” of potential interviewees. He said areas that helped move the candidates to the top included experience, resumes and cover letters.

Bob Galuski can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].