Music camp continues through end of week

Sunday was the registration day for grades 6 through high school graduates to start music lessons at the Eastern Music Camp.

Danelle Larson, the director for this year’s camp, said there are around 200 campers participating this year. Although the camp has been going on for a number of years at Eastern, this is Larson’s first year as director.

“There are five different (band) divisions,” Larson said.

The divisions include concert band, jazz band, piano camp, strings camp and choir camp.

Larson said the campers have plenty to do both during the day and night.

“During the day (the campers) have rehearsals and classes,” Larson said. “At night there are activities for them.”

Larson said there have been a variety of things for the campers to do after their daytime classes are finished. Tuesday, the campers had a pool party at the Rotary Pool. Wednesday, the staff put on a recital. Friday, there will be a dance for the participants.

There will be concerts by divisions Saturday, the final day of the camp .

There will be four concerts- one for each division. However, strings and piano will be performing together, Larson said.

The campers are staying in Lincoln and Douglas Halls.

“There are essentially two different groups of adults,” Larson said. “There’s the staff of people that help with the classes during the day and then there are the deans.”

These adults stay with the campers at night in the residence halls.

“(The deans) are the people that play cards with the kids at night,” Larson said.

The classes will continue through Friday and the concerts on Saturday start at 1 p.m.

Melissa Sturtevant can be reached at 581-7942 or

[email protected]

Music camp continues through end of week

Participants in Eastern’s music camp practice Wednesday afternoon in the Band/Orchestra Recital Hall of the Doudna Fine Arts Center. (Audrey Sawyer