Righter: Quinn to veto bill

Gov. Pat Quinn is refusing to sign Senate Bill 178, which would extend the state’s current health plans for two years and start negotiations over for a new plan.

“The governor has so far refused to sign the bill,” Sen. Dale Righter said. “In fact, he told me personally he is going to veto it.”

He said that the bill passed with a vote of 98-15 and was liked downstate, upstate and by both political parties.

Righter said this means that the plans that state employees will have do not have local providers.

“It’s pretty poorly thought out, awfully executed, group health insurance procurement by the governors office,” he said. “And it turns out that most counties in Illinois, including Coles, won’t have the provider networks in place and folks are understandably concerned.”

Righter said as of Monday the bill still sits on the governor’s desk.

Righter said he does not understand why the governor does not sign the bill since he issued a 90-day contract extension.

Righter said due to a court ruling in June all plans have been eliminated, but the Quality Care Health Plan which is the most expensive option and least helpful.

“There was a court decision in June, and before the court decision came about it was very easy to see where this is headed,” Righter said.

He said with a Quality Care Health Plan, the premiums and out-of-pocket expenses will go up, but it can be used in more areas than some other plans. He said this plan would be good for some, but will not be a good fit or most.

Righter said health care was the only thing discussed at the EIU Annuitants meeting Thursday.

Righter said everything is up in the air and the ball is in the governor’s court.

Marcus Smith can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Righter: Quinn to veto bill

Righter: Quinn to veto bill

Sen. Dale Righter spoke to EIU Annuitants about health care at the meeting Thursday. (File Photo