Community enjoys parade

To the community members in attendance at the 21st Red, White & Blue Days parade, the experience was a positive experience for all.

As the trucks, banners and floats progressed down Sixth Street, parade participants distributed candy and other treats to the families lined up along the sidewalk. The numerous displays included floats for community churches, marching participants from youth sports leagues and martial arts classes, and advertisements for local businesses.

State and local politicians, including State Sen. Dale Righter and Coles County State’s Attorney Steve Ferguson, were there. Toward the end of the parade, vintage cars and tractors rolled past the spectators in a colorful display.

“It seems to get better every year,” said J.R. Zuniga, of Charleston. “There’s lots of things to look at and they have things for every age group.”

Other parade spectators responded similarly when asked for their evaluation of the parade, citing audience involvement and the small-town atmosphere of the parade.

“I enjoyed it,” said J.C. Getche, of Kansas, Ill. “I think there was good crowd participation.”

“I love the parade,”said Jocelyn Tipton, an Eastern reference librarian. “It’s very small-town America for me. I enjoy seeing all of the businesses and the tractors. Every year it’s just good entertainment.”

When asked to compare the parade to other Independence Day parade experiences, spectators presented a notable point of view on the small-town aspect of Charleston’s parade.

Ken Gerhardt, said he was attending Charleston’s Independence Day parade for the first time.

“Pretty typical. Not as many floats, let’s say, as what I am used to, perhaps,” he said. “Not as many old cars, but a lot of tractors.”

Tipton said the fact that Charleston celebrated the Fourth of July with a parade was a positive step up from her hometown.

“The town that I was from didn’t do a Fourth of July parade at all,” Tipton said, “So it was nice to come to a place that does celebrate Independence Day this way.”

When asked what could be added or changed about the parade, spectators did not indicate a desire for large additions.

“Maybe some more bands to play,” said Steve Witmer, of Charleston. “Some high school bands and junior high bands, things like that would be really nice.”

“It’s nice that local businesses participate,” Tipton said. “It could be bigger, but it is Independence Day and it’s a family holiday, so people are out of town or spending it with loved ones.”

Whatever is changed or remains the same for next year’s parade, residents of Charleston and the surrounding area will likely attend for years to come. The central characteristics of a Fourth of July parade will remain for years to come, Witmer said.

“A lot of politics,” Witmer remarked, “A lot of candy for the kids, and just good times.”

Greg Sainer can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

Community enjoys parade

Community enjoys parade

A little girl watching the parade waves a small American flag as there is a break in the parade at the corner of Polk and Fourth Monday afternoon. (Audrey Sawyer