Ashmore farmer did not expect to win award

He had never been to the Red, White & Blue Days before this year, but he left Morton Park Sunday with a fresh plaque in hand.

Monty Checkley was named the Coles County Farmer of the Year Sunday for his lifetime devotion to farming.

Now retired, Checkley, 72, lives in Ashmore on his farm with his wife, Barbara, 73, where Monty has lived for 70 years.

The farm, where Checkley grows crops such as corn, beans and wheat, belonged to Monty’s father, Roy, before he died.

“They haven’t thrown me off yet so I guess I’m doing it right,” Checkley joked.

After his father died, the farm was passed down to Checkley and his brother, Larry; however, after his brother died, Checkley was left with full ownership.

Checkley, who is a member of the Coles County Antique Tractor Club, was given the award for his many contributions to Coles County.

Although Checkley said he didn’t believe he deserved to win the award, his wife would not let her humble husband forget some of the things he’s done.

“You helped at Camp New Hope,” she said.

Checkley helped work on the land where Camp New Hope, in Mattoon, is located.

“We used to haul tractors over there before it got started real good,” Checkley said. “It was just an old piece of woods and we made it into something pretty nice.”

Checkley said he came to the event thinking he was going to see another farmer win the award. In fact, he even said he had two or three farmers in mind who were worthy of the award.

Checkley said the difference between he and the farmers he thought would win is that he is retired.

“Most of them still farm,” Checkley said. “I just put in my two cents worth whenever anybody asks.”

Although he did not know the qualifications for winning the award, Checkley said the other farms, still working, were more qualified.

“Farming has changed so much,” Checkley said. “Everything has changed so much in the last 10 years that I’m not even sure I can keep up now.”

Nevertheless, Checkley said he feels good to win the award, having always admired the past winners.

His wife was equally happy.

“It’s great,” she said. “I’m proud of him for winning.”

Alex McNamee can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Ashmore+farmer+did+not+expect+to+win+award+

Monty Checkley of Ashmore was named Coles County Farmer of the Year at Red White & Blue Days Sunday evening at Morton Park. Checkley farms corn, beans and wheat. (Audrey Sawyer