Cartoon: The LeBron James meter

The Renewable Energy Center will be up and running this summer.

Gary Reed, director of Facilities Planning and Management, said the project is 97 percent completed.

“During the month of June, plans call for start-up of the first biomass burning boiler. By the end of July, all plant systems will be completed and the Renewable Energy Center is expected to be in full operation,” Reed said.

The Renewable Energy Center, located between McKinley and Edgar Avenues along Route 130, will have two biomass boilers as well as two backup natural gas boilers. When it is up and running, the plant will provide the entire campus with power.

The biomass boilers will first use two-inch virgin hardwood chips for energy. After the plant is operational, there are plans to test burn other bio-fuels.

Reed said that once the new plant is operating, the old plant would then begin its transformation into a new Student Services Center.

“We will then place the old steam plant in a standby mode, and maintain that status until next summer. During the summer of 2012, it is planned to demolish a large portion of the old plant’s exterior equipment, leaving mainly the red brick structure,” Reed said. “Eventually, the campus Master Plan calls for us to re-purpose the old structure into a new Student Services Center.”

Other renovation projects are taking place on campus, but mostly in and around Taylor Hall, according to Stephen Shrake, Associate Director of Design and Construction.

Workers are installing fire sprinklers in Taylor Hall and Central Receiving to comply with government regulations.

Shrake’s crews are also renovating some shower facilities in the north side of Taylor Hall. Rooms on some of the floors in Taylor are also being renovated. Windows are also being replaced in Taylor and Lawson Halls.

Booth Library will undergo masonry tuckpointing, a process that corrects defects and imperfections in the masonry.

Certain floors of Stevenson Hall will receive new carpeting, Shrake said.

The west side of the University Housing complex will undergo some paving work, as well, Shrake said.

And all around campus, certain sidewalks will be repaired or replaced. Senior applied engineering technology major Mike Dammer was happy with the work being done around campus.

“There are some sidewalks that I would avoid riding my bike on because they were so bad,” Dammer said. “Now, I won’t have to worry about it.”

Joe Long can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Cartoon: The LeBron James meter

Cartoon%3A+The+LeBron+James+meter+

(Alex McNamee