Green Space is work in progress

Little progress has been made on the new Green Space addition to the space between Klehm Hall and the Life Sciences Building on campus.

Gary Reed, director of Facilities Planning & Management said the area is envisioned within the campus landscape master plan to blend and connect with the Alumni Clock Tower Plaza south of Booth Library.

However, the progress currently shows little more than some soil that was laid, as well as a sidewalk bridging the entrance to the former parking lot.

“Right now the plans will include seeding to establish a sod base,” Reed said.

There is a new science building included in the master plan to be built on the field south of The Tarble Arts Center that was taken in to consideration when the idea for the Green Space was being discussed.

“Once the new science building is constructed south of Tarble, we expect a considerable increase in student foot traffic through this area,” Reed said. “This will be one of the main pedestrian access points into and out of the central campus core from the south and east.”

The new area will include walkways and plants to blend in with the rest of the surrounding campus area.

Rebecca Johnson, a junior political science major, said she is excited to see the Green Space when it is done.

“It will be nice to have somewhere outside to relax between classes and do homework when the weather is nice,” Johnson said. “After years of nothing but an old, unused parking lot there, it will be nice to see something a little more appealing to the eye.”

The space had formally been used as a storage location for the construction happening on campus for over four years. Dumpsters, work vehicles and lumber were commonly seen in the area.

The date for the Green Space project completion is currently unknown.

Ashley Hoogstraten can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Green Space is work in progress

Green Space is work in progress

A construction crew works on the proposed green space on March 21 located between Lumpkin Hall and the Biological Sciences building. (Danny Damiani