Large numbers turn out for holiday events

On Monday, the warm and sunny Memorial Day allowed the the Charleston community to gather at Roselawn Cemetery to honor those who have fought and are fighting for the protection of the nation’s freedom.

The ceremony began at 10 a.m. with the sound of a bag pipe. The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1592, or the VFW, and Boy Scout Troop 141 marched down the avenue of flags to the bag pipes.

The first speaker of the ceremony reminded the audience that the day was not only about remembering and honoring, but also to reflect on the person behind the uniform. The spokesperson, who was speaking to an group of well over 100 members, called the audience to remember that the people who served are just like other Americans; they are fathers, mothers, daughters, and sons. The events that happened were not chosen by them, rather the events chose them, said the speaker.

The Boy Scout Troop 141 presented a wreath to honor the fallen soldiers, sailors and Marines. The VFW members, who are all veterans themselves, presented three flowers of bright color to wave over the comrades in both death and life:

A white rose representing purity, a red rose representing Americans’ devotion to remembrance and a black rose representing eternal and everlasting life.

The ceremony concluded with the firing of gun shots and the voice of a trumpet playing Taps.

Christy Appleby, member of the local VFW and president of the Women’s Auxiliary, enjoyed the ceremony.

“They did such an awesome job,” she said.

Being a veteran herself, she said she loved seeing the community gather to support the veterans.

A similar ceremony took place at Ashmore Cemetery at 11 a.m., immediately following the ceremony at Roselawn. The Memorial Day celebrations concluded with 21 rounds being fired at Mound Cemetery at noon. Colors were raised at the closing of the rounds being fired.

Abby Petrosky can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Large numbers turn out for holiday events

Rodney Mitchell of Charleston plays the bagpipes at the end of the Memorial Day ceremony held by the Veterans of Foreign Wars Paul McVey Post 1592 Monday morning at the Roselawn Cemetery. (Audrey Sawyer

The Daily Eastern News)