Rummage sale raises $2,000

HOPE Coalition Against Domestic Violence of East Central Illinois sold $2,000 worth of donated goods at a rummage sale to benefit their organization over the weekend.

The rummage sale took place at the Cross County Mall in Mattoon from May 19 through May 21.

“We are so grateful,” Angie Hunt, director of housing for HOPE, remarked on the event’s success.

Hunt said that there were a variety of things that were sold at the sale.

“We had a lot of name brand clothing that people really loved buying,” Hunt said.

Clothing and furniture were the two most common items that were donated and put up for sale, but there were also a plethora of other items throughout the sale.

All of the funds collected during the rummage sale will go toward continuing services for domestic violence victims in East Central Illinois, Hunt said.

The HOPE staff also had the help of many different local organizations and even a class during the event.

The Retired Senior Volunteer Program, Salisbury Church, Dr. Lisa Taylor’s Disadvantaged Family class and the Charleston Junior Woman’s Club were all contributing factors to the success of the event.

The HOPE Board of Director’s staff was also very instrumental in helping with the sale Hunt remarked.

Hunt said this is the ninth year that the sale has taken place, having originally taken place in the parking lot of the old Walmart building in Charleston but it was too hot and difficult to function efficiently.

“We moved to the mall for the second year and have been there since. I have to mention that the Cross County Mall staff is incredible. They are so supportive and wonderful to us and the mall looks fantastic. People should really check it out.”

Anyone who is interested in getting involved with HOPE of East Central Illinois can find the group on Facebook or on the web at http://www.hope-eic.org.

Ashley Hoogstraten can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Rummage sale raises $2,000

Rummage sale raises $2,000

Angie Hunt, the housing program director for HOPE of East Central Illinois, points a customer toward some brand-name clothing available at a rummage sale put on by HOPE in the Cross County Mall in Mattoon Friday. (Jordan Boner