Slight changes made for summer

Some campus facilities have shortened hours or included changes for students returning for the summer session.

Jody Horn, director of Dining Services, said in an email that no off-campus meal plans are available to students, but Dining Dollars are an option.

“We can sell Dining Dollars to students who are not currently enrolled. However, we can’t bill them to their student account,” Horn said. “They would have to pay by check ahead of time to be able to purchase them, or they can be purchased by credit card online.”

Horn said Taylor Dining Center will be renovated this summer with new sprinklers, ceilings, flooring, and possibly new chairs and salad bars.

Horn also said trays will still be available for the summer, but said she is excited for the tray-less dining that will be implemented in Taylor and Thomas this fall.

“We have had good student responses on Carman as it makes a significant difference environmentally,” Horn said.

The Student Rec Center will also be experiencing some changes for the summer season. The center, which is open until midnight most days in the fall and spring, will be open Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday through Sunday from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Kaylee Hackney, building coordinator of the Student Rec Center, said those who are not registered for summer classes may still use the facility.

“If they’re not registered, their passes won’t be active. They can purchase a pass, as long as they either just graduated or are taking classes in the fall,” Hackney said.

Hackney said some renovations will also be made to the Student Rec Center during the summer.

“We are getting the new software that will allow us to check out equipment on the computer instead of having to do it manually, and there’s a new software to swipe the panther cards as well,” Hackney said.

Hackney said the Student Recreation Center will be closed during the summer power outages.

Eastern’s Health Service, for the summer, will be open Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to noon.

Lynette Drake, director of Health Service, said students who are not taking summer courses may also use the clinic.

“If students are not taking summer courses, and they are registered for fall semester, then health services are available through a fee-for-service charge,” Drake said.

The hours for the Counseling Center are the same as the Health Center.

According to a Counseling Center representative, students have to take at least one credit hour in order to use the Counseling Center for the summer.

Bob Hillman, reference librarian, said with the exception of the hours, the library does not change much during the summer.

Booth Library will be open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Weekend hours are Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 a.m. and Sunday from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Hillman said registered students will be able to check out books and others will be able to use most of the other services in the library.

Library exhibits will still be shown, but they will not be shown as regularly as they are during the school year.

Alesha Bailey can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected]

Slight changes made for summer

Slight changes made for summer

Amy Rooney (left), a senior special education/early childhood education dual certfication major, and Keely Spellman, a senior elementary education major, study for their summer classes on Monday in the Library. (Jordan Boner