Professor receives award after 30 years

English professor David Raybin has been a member of Eastern’s faculty for 30 years and has been nominated for the Distinguished Faculty Award several times. This year, however, Raybin finally took home the honors.

The faculty member who is presented with this award is determined by a committee of three people, said history professor Jonathan Coit. The members of the committee are appointed by the president, the Alumni Association and a student appointed by the Student Senate.

“Raybin is a leading scholar in the field of Chaucer studies, and a teacher recognized within and outside his department,” Coit said. “The Award recognizes excellence in teaching, research and service and Raybin’s career at Eastern exemplifies this.”

Ruth Hoberman, a English professor and the graduate coordinator for the English department, said it is Raybin’s teaching that sets him apart from other professors. Hoberman said she is excited that he won and cannot wait to see him honored at the graduation ceremony.

“Raybin’s students love him,” Hoberman said. “They love him because he is challenging, and because he’ll go to amazing lengths to involve students in the learning process.”

Raybin also inspires his students to do more than they thought they could do, Hoberman said.

“I’ve tried to be a strong teacher, a solid scholar and a fully involved participant in the university community,” Raybin said.

Raybin said Eastern’s faculty, administration and students are things he likes about Eastern.

“I have wonderfully smart and supportive colleagues in the splendid English department,” Raybin said. “I am fortunate to have many close friends at Eastern.”

Raybin said he has also received support from the Eastern administration when he needed it. He also enjoys working with his students.

“(The students) allow me to enjoy every one of my classes,” Raybin said. “I like the one-on-one conversations too.”

The atmosphere of Eastern is friendly, Raybin added.

“Large as it is, Eastern has the atmosphere of a small college,” Raybin said. “I’ve never felt like a cog in a wheel.”

Raybin said he was excited when he heard he had been chosen for the Distinguished Faculty award.

“It of course pleases me that colleagues nominated me for the award, but as I had been nominated a few times previously, it didn’t stun me,” Raybin said. “When I was told I had received the Distinguished Faculty Award I was surprised and delighted. I felt like dancing among the clouds. Or skipping from star to star.”

Samantha McDaniel can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]

Professor receives award after 30 years

Professor receives award after 30 years

David Raybin, winner of the Distinguished Faculty Award (Submitted Photo)