Comedian to try to relate to students at today’s performance

After graduating from the University of California at Berkeley, Calif. with a degree in business, Sheng Wang soon realized that a career in comedy was the road for him.

Wang performed at different open mic nights around the Oakland, Calif. area, and after three years, he moved up to working at comedy clubs.

He said he realized that comedy was the viable option for him to look towards instead of a business career.

“There is no falling back on my degree now,” Wang said.

Wang has toured around the country for a few years and will now perform at 8:30 p.m. today in the 7th Street Underground.

Wang said that performing at a college is sometimes a challenge because it is hard to relate to the younger crowd.

“As much as I don’t want to admit it, I can be considered an older guy now, so there is a little bit of a social distance,” Wang said. “But college students should still be able to relate.”

Many younger people are not as jaded as older people can be, Wang said.

“And while a lot of comedy of is based around tragedy, but my comedy is more positive so they should be able to relate,” he said.

He said his first influence was comedian Mitch Hedberg.

“Some people find similarities to this influence,” Wang said. “The jokes I use are too well thought out about normal things, mundane things. I use points of reference that we all have in common.”

Rovion Reed, the comedy coordinator for the University Board, decided it would be a good opportunity to bring Wang to campus for Asian Heritage Month.

Reed said he has seen him perform at different conferences including the National Association for Campus Activities (NACA) conference.

“He showcased the main stage at (the) NACA (conference). He is very funny,” Reed said. “At the conference, which is made up of college students from around the country, he had the entire room cracking up.”

Reed said students should expect is to be surprised when they come to the performance.

“When you look at him he doesn’t look like he can tell jokes, but he is really, very funny,” Reed said.

At the event the UB will have free egg rolls and drinks for the audience members.

Kayleigh Zyskowski can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]

Comedian to try to relate to students at todays performance

Sheng Wang, a stand up comedian from California, will bring his act to 7th Street Underground at 8:30 p.m. today. University Board is sponsoring the event as part of Asian Heritage Month. (Submitted photo)