Nadler, Lord contract extensions up for vote

The Board of Trustees will vote to approve a three-year contract extension for Dan Nadler, vice president for student affairs, and Blair Lord, vice president for academic affairs, at the board meeting today.

President Bill Perry said the increases that are granted to the vice presidents are not dependent on this contract extension.

“The increases are done through the normal budgeting process,” he said. “As of now, none of the (administrative) employees have received any increase for this year.”

With furloughs being implemented at universities across the country, including the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, for cost-saving measures, there is a concern for administrative pay raises. As it stands, no salary raises are being negotiated into the vice presidents’ contract extensions, Perry said.

Currently, Nadler and Lord yearly earn $151,161.72 and $178,618.44 respectively.

Perry said his decision to extend Lord and Nadler’s contracts is based on their positive performance reviews from early last year. Board approval is needed for any contract extension beyond one year.

Administrators with continuing appointments are evaluated in accordance with Internal Governing Policy 31. At least every three years, a supervisor will use the Administrative Performance Appraisal Instrument evaluation and feedback will be collected from it.

This evaluation ranks the candidate on the grounds of: program development, personnel management, affirmative action and cultural diversity enhancement, budget management, constituent relations and overall performance.

The reviewer responds on a scale from “Strongly Agree” to “Strongly Disagree.”

For Nadler’s overall review, the percentages of responses were as follows: Agree or Strongly Agree, 83 percent; Disagree or Strongly Disagree, 4 percent; Neutral, 7 percent; Unable to Judge or No Response, 6 percent.

Those who responded to the survey cited some of Nadler’s strengths as: encourages partnerships, collaboration and teamwork and possesses a student-centered approach.

However, carving out more time for meeting with direct reports is cited as an area for improvement for Nadler.

For Lord, the overall percentage of responses were as follows: Agree or Strongly Agree, 46 percent; Disagree or Strongly Disagree, 34 percent; Neutral, 7 percent; Unable to Judge or No Response, 13 percent.

In response to Lord’s varied responses, Perry mentions in the report that he believes the unfavorable comments have to do with Lord’s role in shared governance.

“Structurally, the provost’s position is one with great influence and thus, decisions taken by the provost are the most likely to generate controversy,” Perry said.

The Board of Trustees will meet 1 p.m. today in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union at 1 p.m.

Shelley Holmgren can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

Nadler, Lord contract extensions up for vote

Zach Samples, a junior sociology major, tells RHA members about the upcoming winter clothing drive at the RHA meeting at Thomas Hall. (Olivia Angeloff