‘The Red Show’ educates and entertains

A live jazz band started out the night while Eastern students sat at red and blue decorated tables during the Red Show on Wednesday.

New Student Programs and Student Community Service hosted the event for the third year in the Martin Luther King Jr. Univeristy Union Grand Ballroom.

“We had a nice attendance,” said Rachel Fisher, the director of student community service. “It shows a greater awareness on campus.”

Groups such as Zeta Phi Beta, Wesley Foundation, Rhythm and X-tacy came out to show support for HIV/AIDS awareness.

“AIDS is an epidemic. It’s one of the leading causes of African-American deaths and that’s heaving on my heart,” said Jaleesha Maury, a member of Zeta Phi Beta and a senior hospitality management major.

The Red Show also had a fashion show going between each group performance; each model wore personally designed shirts depicting HIV/AIDS awareness.

Shirts featured phrases like: “Respect/Protect,” “Stay Safe. Get a Test,” “Fight AIDS not wars” and “Success: no glove = no love.”

“It was a really good cause,” said Leah Woods, a senior mathematics major. “It’s good to see everyone come out to support.”

Over 75 tickets were sold and each performance group had to pay a fee to participate in the event.

In order to not only advocate the awareness of HIV/AIDS, Zeta Phi Beta members passed out condoms telling students to practice safe sex.

“There are simple ways to protect yourself,” Fisher said.

Condoms are available by joining Eastern’s Rubber Lover’s Club or going to the Health Education Research Center.

R.J. Jurgenson, a freshman business management major, was one of the men that walked the runway and chose to participate for a personal reason.

“I personally know somebody that died from AIDS,” Jurgenson said. “Giving back is something I was always taught.”

The Pink Panthers were also represented by teammates Kiki Chiligiris, a sophomore business administration major, and Ashlee Hare, a freshman special education major.

“We are a part of EIU and the Pinks and we felt the need to come out and support AIDS awareness,” Chiligiris said.

AIDS is more than an Eastern issue. It’s a global issue that we wanted to give a voice to, Hare said.

Jantelle Horton, a senior sociology major and a member of Delta Sigma Theta, has been involved with the Red Show for three years.

“AIDS awareness is very important to me; my aunt is affected by AIDS,” Horton said.

However, she said they should start advertising the Red Show earlier to make even more people aware of it.

“I think it’s about awareness and there is always room for improvement,” said Cordy Love, the assistant of new student orientation. Love worked along with Rachel Fisher on the Red Show.

Fisher said she expects to raise $1000 by the end of the week.

“So many people are affected by HIV/AIDS and I feel as if it is my duty to help with this epidemic,” Horton said.

Nike Ogunbodede and Erin Riedl can be reached 581-2812 or [email protected].

‘The Red Show’ educates and entertains

The Red Show educates and entertains

The Rhythm X-tacy dance group performs at the third annual Red Show in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union Wednesday. (Kenji Ohseki