‘Translations’ a story of many tongues

The Doudna Fine Arts Center put on “Translations”, a play about Irish integration into Great Britain.

The play exhibits languages as a key motif. The Irish characters all speak Irish Gaelic and cannot understand English, even though all dialogue is spoken in English.

“It’s been an interesting role. I’ve learned how to speak in an Irish accent and things in Gaelic,” said Julie Zielinski, a sophomore theatre arts major. “I’ve done shows in the past, but it’s been really cool working with everyone.”

Grant Molen, a sophomore theatre arts major, said the progress of the play was great. He said this was his first show he was able to use an accent.

“There are so many great portraits from this show. It’s the most aesthetically pleasing,” Molen said.

The play takes place in a village called Baile Beag in 1833, within a school that teaches primarily Latin and Greek languages. Years prior, the Act of Union of 1800 was put into affect and England had been trying to Anglicize the country.

“I looked into the history of Ireland of the time for the show, so I can get a good handle on the play,” Zielinski said.

During a class, Owen, played by Alex Truccano, returns to Baile Beag with two Englishmen and set out to rename Irish landmarks. Owen also acts as a translator between the Irish and the English.

Another problem that occurs in the play is a love triangle between Manus, played by Jason Rutkowski, Maire, played by Zielinski and Yolland, played by Molen.

Manus thinks he is going to marry Maire, but with Yolland arriving, Maire and Yolland have fallen in love with each other despite the language barrier. However, in the middle of the night, Yolland goes missing.

The ending is left rather ambiguous and the future for the characters is left uncertain.

Both Zielinski and Molen enjoyed working with the director, Jean Wolski.

“I liked it. I thought it was good, but I didn’t understand it,” said Mackinzee Smith, a sophomore CDS (communication disorders sciences) major who attended the show.

Natalie Gaughan, a sophomore early childhood major, agreed that the ending was confusing.

“It seemed really depressing. The actors did a really good job with the Irish brogue.”

Within the “Translations” program is a page dedicated to the historical background of the play, giving insight for the audience. Additionally, outside the Black Box was a display of different historical elements concerning the play.

“I think they portrayed the Irish depression very well,” said Jaclyn Bartz, a sophomore hospitality major.

The play will be showing Monday, Nov. 15 and Tuesday, Nov. 16 at 7 p.m.

Jacob Swanson can be reached

at 581-7942 or [email protected].

‘Translations’ a story of many tongues

Translations a story of many tongues

Maire, played by Julie Zielinski, a theatre arts major, speaks during a rehearsal of the play “Translations” Nov. 8 in the Black Box in the Doudna Fine Arts Center. (Jordan Boner