Ancient board game comes to Eastern

The 4,000-year-old board game known as Go is extremely popular within Asia, and recently it has come to Eastern as well. The Go club meets at 7 p.m. every Tuesday in the Vending Lounge of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union to practice the ancient game in a casual setting.

“It’s addicting,” said Jonathan Hunt, club contact and a worker in the office of registrar, “There’s so much tactics and strategy.”

The goal of the game is to capture as much territory and surround as much of the board as possible with either black or white stones. At the end of the game players count up their entire territory and subtract the number of stones their opponent has captured or killed. Whichever player has the highest score, wins.

While games such as Reversi and possibly checkers are considered adaptations of Go, there are unique differences that set Go apart from most western board games.

“Normally you start with a game full of pieces and continually take away. In Go you start with an empty board and just keep adding,” Hunt said.

The board normally has a grid of 19 by 19 spaces, but the Go club will often use a smaller, 13 by 13 grid board for beginners and faster games.

Brian Lieber, a freshman undecided major, never thought he would find a club in the U.S.

“(This is the) first I’ve played,” said Lieber, “I knew the basics from the show Hikaru no Go, but you don’t learn much from a TV show.”

Those new to Go can expect plenty of assistance from the club’s current members including basic tips and terminology. While new players are often considered equal and start with an even playing field, more experienced players can rise through the ranks. When playing a stronger player, handicap stones can be given to help even things out.

“(Go has) the same kind or rankings as martial arts for players,” Hunt said. “In Asia the top players can make over a million dollars in tournaments, they also teach. You can take classes online from the masters.”

Seth Schroeder can be reached at 581-7943

or [email protected].

Ancient board game comes to Eastern

Ancient board game comes to Eastern

Ethan Kruger, a sophomore and mass communication major, plays the ancient board game Go in the Vending Lounge in the Martin Luther King Jr. Union on Tuesday. This was his first time attending a meeting of Eastern’s Go club. (Seth Schroeder