MADtv comedian Aries Spears takes the stage

Aries Spears is known for his impressions.

He does impressions from Jay-Z to Snoop Dog, to Bill Cosby, and will perform at 9 p.m. today in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Andy Luttrell, a junior psychology major, will open for Spears since he won “Last Comic Standing.”

Matt Caponera, University Board comedy coordinator, said he thinks there will be about 700 students in attendance at the show.

Spears appeared on MADtv for eight years and in movies “Jerry McGuire” and “Josie and the Pussycats” among others.

He was also on many XM Satellite radio shows as well as television appearances on “Def Jam Comedy” and “Comedy Sports Net.”

He has appeared as a regular guest on talk shows such as “Chelsea Lately” and “Late Night with Conan O’Brien.”

Right now, he is touring colleges and comedy clubs throughout the United States.

Spears had a short stay on the “Best Damn Sports Show Period” after MADtv and appeared in the movie “Hood of Horror” with Snoop Dog as well.

“We were looking for a bigger name comedian,” Caponera said.

Caponera passed out surveys at several fall comedy shows where he had three people in the price range possible for the big comedy show and the student surveys picked Spears.

Some other names on the surveys were Kyle Cease, who has been in movies “10 Things I Hate About You” and “Not Another Teen Movie,” and Norm McDonald from “Saturday Night Live.”

Caponera said out of the 300 surveys handed out, about 75 percent voted for Spears.

“He was a good name and good price,” he said. “Most big comedians are $20,000, but Spears was only $10,000. UB likes to have one big comedian a year.”

UB concerts helped comedy by chipping in $4,000 and Apportionment Board took care of the rest.

“Budgets were tight this year and comedy couldn’t do it any other way, so we decided to co-sponsor with them,” said Sheila Hurley, UB concerts coordinator.

Mike Usher, UB chair, said when UB talked to other schools where Spears has performed, they got a good response.

“When we went to the (National Association for Campus Activities) conference in the fall, we talk to other schools,” Usher said. “They brought up Aries Spears and we pushed to get him here.”

Usher said when it came down to it, Spears was a great and well-known comedian.

Caponera said students should come hear someone of his caliber perform for free.

“Everyone has heard of Aries Spears who grew up watching MADtv,” he said.

Caponera said next year Cease or college comedian Zach Galifianakis would be the choices for the big comedy act.

Heather Holm can be reached at 581-7942 or [email protected].

MADtv comedian Aries Spears takes the stage

Comedian Aries Spears will perform tonight at 9 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. Spears performed on MADtv for eight seasons and is well known for his celebrity impersonations. (Submitted photo)