Alumni return to perform show

Eastern alumni Mike Papaleo and Bryan Grossbauer founded the Tree Theatre, located in Brooklyn, N.Y.

The pair has returned to its roots to perform a two-act show titled “Road Trips” at 7 p.m. today in The Theatre in the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

“It’s good to be back,” Grossbauer said. “The foundation of Tree Theatre started at EIU, and now we have a chance to come back and perform.”

“Road Trips” is the Tree Theatre’s latest production, which Papaleo and Grossbauer co-wrote.

Grossbauer described the show as a fast-paced adventure across the country.

The show features eight characters, all played by Grossbauer and Papaleo, Grossbauer said.

“Jason and Campbell (main characters) are best friends, but polar opposites,” Grossbauer said. “Jason is a freelance computer programmer. Campbell was recently laid off his hedge fund. Jason takes Campbell on a road trip to gain perspective and see the world. Along the way, they encounter a young Native American, a good Samaritan, a young slacker, a bald eagle and many others.”

“Road Trips” has a run time of approximately 90 minutes. The show is an adult production intended for a mature audience because of language and content.

After graduating from Eastern, Grossbauer and Papaleo expanded their performance experiences.

Grossbauer has performed internationally at the Montreal and Toronto Fringe Festivals. He has been seen in Jagermeister and Time Warner commercials. In New York, he acted in Moonworks’ “Romeo and Juliet,” and “Misalliance” at the Pulse Ensemble Theatre. Grossbauer currently teaches at a private Manhattan school, and is the Summer Shakespeare artistic director at Calhoun School.

Papaleo has performed at the New York Comedy Club and studied at the Upright Citizens Brigade. He has starred in several off-off Broadway productions including, “Hello Out There” at Steinberg Theatre and “Gutter Rat” at Theatre-Studio Inc.

“Road Trips” is a part of the Coming Home Artists Series of the New and Emerging Artists Program, which is co-sponsored by the Theatre Arts Department.

Charles Legrand can be reached at 581-7942 or at [email protected].

Alumni return to perform show

Alumni return to perform show

Bryan Grossbauer, left, and Mike Papaleo, right, rehearse for “Road Trips,” a play they will debut at 7 p.m. in The Theatre of the Doudna Fine Arts Center. The duo, along with lighting coordinator and sound designer Christopher Ham, are Eastern graduates.