China Cafe satisfies

Three China restaurants exist in Charleston.

Magic Wok and QQ Buffet tend to have a prominence from the landscape of the culture of Eastern but a hidden treasure exists near the square.

China Cafe is found on Jackson Avenue, right next to Jackson Avenue Coffee. The sign on the outside of the restaurant advertises its prominence as being a take-out venue.

I picked up a takeout menu and looked through the choices. The front of the menu showcases combination platters, which are served with egg roll or crab Rangoon and fried rice. The large minority of the combination platters cost $5.25 and feature many common dinners such as sweet and sour chicken, beef pepper steak and shrimp chop suey.

The menu also contains specific sections for chicken, pork, beef, shrimp and scallops, and vegetables. Something I find interesting is the family dinners, which includes options for dinner for two, three and four with prices of $16.95, $21.95 and $26.95, respectfully. Each dinner includes the daily soup, egg rolls, rice, an appetizer, and a main dish.

Most of the menu contains things I’d at least heard of. Many of the options also contain a short description under the item in an attempt at clearing up any customer’s confusion.

I’d eaten at China Cafe once before.

I noticed something interesting as I waited for my food, lemon chicken.

The atmosphere of the restaurant does not pull me in. I felt nearly uncomfortable as I waited for my food. Music isn’t playing for customers to enjoy. The only thing that can be heard is the grill behind the counter as food is prepared the second it is ordered.

I wonder why, if red booths exist and I can see a Coke products fountain, it was expected my food was ‘to go.’ I did not state that’s what I wanted.

I also was not asked. It was a mere presumption.

If those options are in place but not being used, then the booths wouldn’t be serving any purpose from an economical stand point. I am also confused by the island, seemingly used for a buffet.

As previously stated, I ordered lemon chicken. This was a meal that I hadn’t ordered before; yet decided it to be safe. I only waited approximately ten minutes for food. My past experience has told me that this is a regular time frame to wait for food.

Upon arriving back to my place and putting it on a plate, it was what I expected. I received enough sauce for the chicken and rice. I also received a fortune cookie in the bag without requesting one.

I paid only a little over $5 for my meal, including tax. For this price, I sat back and was completely satisfied with my food. The portion was enough for me to not leave the table wanting more. As some of my friends can admit, this can be a hard task every once in a while.

This is a lower price than I would pay for a buffet at the other two places in town. Because of the buffet presence in the other places, I really have not felt the need to order anything off the menu. I could be just a bit indecisive and select several things from the buffet at the other Chinese places.

The price was reasonable and the food delicious. If I had gone to the other places I would have spent far too much money and probably left feeling as though I would have overeaten. If Chinese food is desired and the Chinese atmosphere is dispensable, I would recommend China Cafe.

China Cafe satisfies

China Cafe satisfies

A Lemon Chicken dish served at China Cafe at 716 Jackson Ave. in Charleston. Kristy Mellendorf/The Daily Eastern News