Reports on earned degrees, athletics and alumni presented to BOT

Reports on earned degrees, athletics and alumni were among the information items presented to the Board of Trustees at Monday’s meeting in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

In the earned degrees report, Blair Lord, vice president for academic affairs, said last year, Eastern awarded a total of 2,700 degrees, which is nearly comparable to two years ago. The largest number of bachelor’s degrees were in elementary education, with the largest number of master’s degrees in educational administration.

Last year, Lord said minorities received 225 degrees, which was an increase from the previous five years. Overall, Eastern boasts a 65 percent graduation rate.

Interim President Lou Hencken made a report on intercollegiate athletics to the BOT at the meeting. Hencken said the university sponsors 22 sports, with about 500 student athletes participating.

On Aug. 22, Eastern received second-cycle NCAA certification, which means the school operates its athletics program in conformity with the principles adopted by the NCAA Division I membership, Hencken said.

The graduation rate for student athletes last year was 69 percent.

Director Steve Rich made the Alumni Association report. Rich said the Alumni Association provided $40,000 in grants last year, despite having an operating budget of less than $10,000.

The association is currently working on following more successful alumni and developing an online giving site.

Michael Hoadley, the recently appointed assistant vice president for academic affairs for technology, presented the board with a comprehensive plan for technology on campus.

Hoadley said the four main points of this plan include recognizing past technology successes, enhancing communication about technology, exploring funding options for technology and coordinating campus-wide efforts to move forward with technology.

“It’s a challenge to keep up with technology,” Hoadley said. “We all know technology is not an inexpensive venture-it’s going to cost money.”

Despite the budget concerns, Hoadley said Eastern needs to try to be on the cutting edge of technology in every way possible.

Jeff Cooley, vice president for business affairs, delivered a report on last year’s deposits and investments. Cooley presented the board with figures from the operating funds account balances, operating funds investment performance and endowment funds.

Cooley also listed a summary of purchases between $100,000 to $249,999, including the $220,000 shuttle bus service agreement and various software purchases.

A number of university highlights were presented to the BOT.

Eastern’s recent 6 percent enrollment increase and retainment of its top tier ranking with U.S. News and World Report , as well as outstanding faculty and student news were among the highlights.

Representatives from the Student Senate and the Faculty Senate also spoke.

Student Body President Alison Mormino reported on the Student Government’s successes with voter registration and resolving parking problems.

Faculty Senate Chair Anne Zahlan talked about faculty concerns, including computer privacy, distance education and faculty workloads. After all the information items were presented, the BOT moved into a closed executive session.