Changing it for the better

To keep improving, to keep getting a little bit better all the time – that is a good goal and a measure of individual success. Nothing is perfect right away; improvement takes time and effort.

This seems to be the case for the campus movie channel, which might finally be reaching a more successful level a year after it was implemented.

The decision to put the movie channel’s control into the hands of WEIU-TV was a smart idea because it should make the channel’s quality better for the viewers.

Before if students wanted to watch a movie that played at a time when they had class, they either had to tape the movie or skip class. That same movie would always be playing when they were in class.

Or, if as student had a break from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. for instance, they could have the chance to know a movie by heart because it would play at that time every day.

This system did not provide variety and options for students living in on-campus housing.

With WEIU-TV playing a role, there’s no excuse for a stable time schedule for the movies. The TV station should be able to vary the channel’s time schedule.

Like every new program, the campus movie channel had its technical difficulties, especially when it was first introduced.

Even after a while, the channel would still have problems like movies not playing when they were supposed to or movies cutting off in the middle of the show.

No one was watching the channel constantly to know when this happened, so students would have to call to inform the Housing Office.

WEIU-TV will put the movie channel on its monitors to watch for any technical difficulties. Then any problems will be able to be addressed and fixed more quickly. Solutions will not have to wait for students to get mad or frustrated enough to call in the re-occurring problems.

Another benefit to the switch is it gets students more involved on campus. Students will help program starting and ending times and dates chosen for the movies.

It took some time, but the Housing Office did not give up on trying to improve. As long as WEIU steps up to the task, the movie channel should be more convenient for the students.

Changing it for the better