Language Company expands facility, increases student enrollment

T'Nerra Butler

Lauren Schuberth, the academic coordinator for the Language Company, talks to the Language Company students about organizations on campus Tuesday at the Language Center in Thomas Hall. The program is designed for aspiring students from other countries to learn English and to learn American culture.

T'Nerra Butler, Multicultural Editor

The Language Company, located in Thomas Hall, has expanded in the number of students enrolled and its facility size since first opening last fall.

Kendra Schubert, the director of the language center’s admissions, said two walls were knocked down to provide a bigger class size for students. Schubert said it took about a month for renovations to be finished. She said before renovations the company contained 25 rooms and now they have 23.

“It was Just in case we get more students in each level” Schubert said.  “The class sizes only fit seven to 10 students and with our growing population when needed larger classes.”

Schubert also said it is convenient to have the company in a dorm, especially, Thomas, because most students in the program are housed there. Schubert said because the company is in the heart of the school, it is easy for students to adapt to Eastern and the university’s culture.

Yang Du, is a language teacher for the company, and said she was born in China with English being her second language.

“When I teach English, I feel like I’ve shared an experience with my students and I feel connected to them because I’m actually the only non-native English speaker teaching here,” Du said.

She says she relates to her students knowing some of them share similar second language backgrounds. Du said it is like she is learning with her students.

Schubert said the company has had 84 applications this year and 44 have attended, 14 are enrolled for upcoming sessions and four have enrolled in the current semester.

Lauren Schuberth, the company’s academic coordinator, said the program started with only two students and expanded throughout one year.

Schuberth also said it has been a rapid growth since the program started in Charleston and one occasion, the company had conducted a test where 18 people showed up. She said numbers have gone up substantially, but numbers are not the only aspect they focus on.

“Our goal is to provide not only educational, but a cultural experience. We try to integrate different cultures in our classes,” Schuberth said. “Our students are from a variety of places so we want them to be exposed and appreciate each other cultures.”

Schuberth said the center started expansion just with the hallways then with a classroom. She said the company is up to seven teachers and now the program has two sets of hallways, which are being filled with new classrooms.

Russell Liu, a student at the center, said he has been in America for six months and is happy the company is on campus. He said all of the teachers are professional and patient while instructing him

“These students come here and they meet friends and they find people who care about them and want them to succeed not just financially, but personally.” Schuberth said. “I learn as much as I teach because there is an exchange of cultures.”

T’Nerra Butler can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]