Oroszova named to All-OVC Preseason

Bob Reynolds, Staff Reporter

Eastern senior forward Sabina Oroszova was named to the preseason All-OVC team in a poll by the league’s head coaches and sports information directors at the Ohio Valley Conference media day on Tuesday in Nashville, Tenn.

Oroszova averaged 16.9 points a game last season in her third year as a Panther. She compiled 16 double-doubles on the season, which ranked 24th in all of the NCAA and ranked 25th in the NCAA with 10.6.

She was also named to the second team All-OVC in 2014 and was named to the North Florida Holiday Tournament MVP after leading Eastern to wins over Georgia Southern and Air Force.

As a team, the Panthers were picked to finish eighth in the conference, with 92 points, ahead of Murray State, Southeast Missouri, Austin Peay and Morehead State.

There is a new format this season where there is no longer divisional play and the top eight teams will go to Nashville for the OVC tournament. 

Eastern last season finished 12-16 overall under first-year coach Debbie Black and finished 7-9 in the conference, but still made an appearance in Nashville, only to fall to Eastern Kentucky in the quarterfinals.

The Panthers have one returning starter this season in Oroszova and five other returning players from last season.

They lost three starters to graduation and Katlyn Payne, who transferred to Northern Illinois.

Eastern will be sporting six freshmen and two transfer students this season.

Belmont has been picked to win the OVC with 224 points, including 14 first-place votes.

The Bruins are coming off a 14-18 season in which it went 14-8 and 10-6 in the OVC en route to a first-place finish in the East Division.

Belmont earned the No. 2 seed in the OVC tournament and fell to Tennessee-Martin in the conference championship game.

The Bruins earned the league’s automatic bit to the Women’s NIT.

Belmont’s Jordyn Luffman was picked as Preseason OVC Player of the Year. She averaged 14.3 points and 7.2 rebounds per game.

Tennessee-Martin was picked to finish second in the OVC, receiving three first-place votes.

The Skyhawks won their fourth-straight OVC title and went 24-8 overall and 15-1 in the OVC.

They almost pulled an upset in the NCAA tournament by nearly defeating North Carolina on its home floor, but fell 60-58.

The Skyhawks will have to replace Heather Butler and Jasmine Newsome, as both were lost to graduation. Butler went on to the WNBA and signed with the San Antonio Stars.

Men’s team picked fifth in preseason poll

The Eastern men’s basketball team was picked to finish fifth in the OVC West Division.

The Panthers have qualified for the OVC tournament each year under coach Jay Spoonhour. His team finished 11-19 last season and 7-9 in conference.

The Panthers return four starters form last season, including senior guard Reggie Smith, who led the team with 13.1 points per game last season. Smith also dished out a team-high 84 assists.

Junior forward Chris Olivier finished the year with an average of 11.4 points and 4.4 rebounds per game.

Murray State has been picked to finish first in the OVC with 132 points and 22 first-place votes.

The Racers were 13-3 last season in conference play and finished second overall behind Belmont. The Racers lost in the OVC tournament to champion Eastern Kentucky.

After accepting an invite to the CollegeInsider.com Tournament, the Racers had a first round road win at Missouri State, then won four games in a row to become the CIT champion.

The Racers return four starters from last season, including Preseason OVC Player of the Year Cameron Payne and Preseason All-OVC selections Jarvis Williams and T.J. Sapp.

Belmont, which lost in the conference championship last year, received 16 of a possible 24 first place votes and was picked to finish first in the East Division with 125 points.

Belmont finished with a 26-10 record last season and was invited to the NIT, eventually losing to Clemson in the first round by five points.

Former OVC Player of the year, J.J. Mann is lost to graduation, but the Bruins will return eight players from last season.

The Eastern women will open its season at home against Missouri-Kansas City on Nov. 15 and the men will open its season on the road at Missouri State on Nov. 14.

Bob Reynolds can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].