Paint and Sip goes blacklight

Students gather paintbrushes, paint, and plates for the Paint and Sip event Wednesday night Sept. 6, 2023 in Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. (Sia Deykoontz)

Students crowded the hallway to the Martin Luther King Jr. Union University Ballroom Wednesday night for a Paint and Sip event hosted by the University Board. The smell of popcorn and paint filled the MLK Union Ballroom.

The black light and neon paint brought the attention of over 120 students to attend the Paint and Sip.

Lynn Judey, a junior graphic design major, attended the event in hopes to “get to know other people… and have fun.”

The event gave students a creative space to experience themselves, enjoy music, snacks and meet new friends.

University Board member, Kymo Ni Dixon, coordinated the event. Dixon enjoys putting on these events in efforts to help students express themself. Dixon loves seeing students out of their dorms, engaging with fellow peers.

“It’s good to see students get out, putting on fun events and find out what people like,” Dixon said.

But due to the number of students who were in attendance, supplies ran low, but the lights and painters’ excitement were still in the air.

“Due to the high volume, supplies got short towards the end. Paint and Sips are usually highly attended, but the new spin on it (blacklights), I think drew out a larger crowd,” Kristal Muñoz, a Senior criminology major stated. “The University Board is always looking to improve. We encourage students who attend to let us know their thoughts via our Instagram @ubeiu”

The University Board plans to host more events in the future.

Sia Deykoontz can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]