Emery Johnson: A woman in the LGBTQ+ community

Ashanti Thomas

Emery Johnson poses for a photo.

Christina Holman, Junior Campus Editor

Emery Johnson, a freshman English education major, is a former homecoming princess contests as well as a former member of Pride Club at Eastern.

Pride Club is a Registered Student Organization, RSO, for students to join regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Their purpose is  to allow people to be comfortable with each other in this safe space/community.

Johnson attended one or two meetings but is very active with teaching others about the LGBTQ community. They’re a Pemberton Panther L.E.A.D.S historian and threw an educational event for LGBTQ history month.

In addition to being an advocate for the LGBTQ community, they’re also a part of the community as well.

Johnson knew they were interested in girls at a young age.

“I knew I was into girls in sixth grade but I was going to a Christian school at this time,” Johnson said. “So I decided to put it off until I was older.”

They came out as bisexual in the eighth grade to their sisters and close friends. But then realized they were a lesbian once in high school.

Johnson then finally mustered up the courage to come out to those closest to them.

“It wasn’t hard to tell my dad, because he’s always been a strong ally.” Johnson said. “It was much harder to tell my other more conservative family members. I am now out to my whole family.”

Coming out to your closest friends and family is only half the battle. Then there is the aftermath of how everyone will respond to this.

Johnson said, “The first people I came out to were my sisters. We were all young but my sisters tried their best to support me.”

It’s always best to have a support system during these times. Even while navigating life as a teenager, you still have to navigate through dating.

Dating is hard in general, let alone in the LGBTQ community. It’s hard to find people to be in a loving relationship with.

Johnson’s first queer relationship was the reason they accepted and loved themselves.

“I had always thought being a lesbian was something I should be ashamed of,” Johnson said. “But my relationship with my partner was and is very loving and sweet.”

When people are finally able to  live in their skin comfortably, it’s the best feeling in the world. But even at this old age there are still many people who haven’t come to terms in regards to their sexuality.

You can never go wrong with getting a little advice from friends or family in this type of situation. Johnson was able to give some advice on how to tell the ones closest to you.

“For anyone finding or coming to terms with their sexuality is to be patient and loving with yourself.” Johnson said. “You’ll be alright and you will find friends who will love, support, and celebrate all of you.”

Friends and families can be your best support system at times like this. But having someone to talk to away from home can always be useful.

Pride Club meet on Mondays at 7 p.m. in the Clinical Center at the Gender and Sexual Diversity, GSD, Center.

Christina Holman can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].