BOT approves tuition, fees increase for next year

Chairperson Joyce Madigan, opens the Friday Board of Trustees meeting with a call to order and roll call in the Grand Ballroom.

Madelyn Kidd, News Editor

The Board of Trustees approved increases to student fees, tuition and housing and dining for the fiscal year 2022-23 on Friday.

Dining meal plans will see a 2.5% increase ranging from costing $117 to $139 more depending on the type of meal plan.

Tuition will increase for new students and committed non-guaranteed students by 2.5%.

For Illinois residents, the new students will have a $7.89 increase per credit hour and continuing non-guaranteed students will have a $7.70 increase per credit hour.

For non-Illinois resident students, new students will see a $9.86 increase per credit hour, and continuing students will not see an increase.

For all students, in the 2022-23 fiscal year will see an increase in tuition per credit hour. Illinois residents have a $8.81 increase and non-Illinois residents will have a $21.15 increase.

Housing costs for university court and apartments will increase by three percent for the fall 2022 and spring 2023 semesters and 2.5% increase in room and board for the 2022 summer semester. 

Depending on the room type, the cost increase during the summer semester ranges from $22 to $54.

For university apartments, in a 10-month contract there will be a $150 increase, and for a per month contract it will have a $15 increase for each monthly payment starting in the fall.

In University Court, for the 2022-2023 academic year for double occupancy per resident each semester will have to pay $78 to $99 more depending on the apartment type.

For the only fall 2022 contract and being a double residency each resident will pay $81 to $109 more.

For the summer 2022 semester, monthly payments will cost $15 to $16 more per month.

Various student fees will increase to cost $12.57 more.

Of those fees increased, the Union Operating Fee will increase by over 40% going from $19.78 to $27.86, the Athletic Fee will increase by $0.69, the Lantz/O’Brien Operations Fee will increase by 42% only $2.90 and the Grant-in-Aid fee by $0.90.

The Student Recreation Operation Fee did not increase, however, it will now be a flat rate fee of $81.48. Before, it was $6.79 per credit hour capping at 12 credit hours, so full-time students will not see any changes.

The Concert Fee was adjusted so its fee rate will be added to the Student Activity Fee and the Concert Fee will be removed. Thus, there will not be more for students to pay, but the $0.80 which went to the Concert Fee will now be added to the Student Activity Fee.

The BOT also approved a new academic program for a Bachelor’s degree in health sciences.

The BOT approved a personnel contract for Josh Norman, the associate vice president of enrollment management, extending his contract by three additional years starting July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2025.

The BOT approved seven 2022-2023 tenures. Those granted a tenure are:

• – Mahmoud Al-Deh, a professor in the school of technology
  • – Carole Collins Ayanlaja, an assistant professor in the department of education leadership
  • – Stephen Kozlowski, an assistant professor in the school of business
  • – Eloy Martinez, an assistant professor in the department of biological sciences
  • – Nicholas Robinson, an assistant professor in the school of business
  • – Chigozirim Sodeke, an assistant professor in the school of communication and journalism
  • – John Strosved, a professor of kinesiology, sport and recreation

The BOT approved two successor agreements, one with the Teamsters Local #26 and the other with Operating Engineers Local 399.

The Teamsters Local #26 successor agreement includes a 1.25% wage increase effective July 1, 2021 and a one-time sign-on bonus for each member of $250 upon the BOT’s approval.

The Operating Engineers Local 399 two-year successor agreement entails a 1.25%wage increase effective Aug. 1, 2021, another 1.25% wage increase effective Aug. 1 and a one-time sign-on bonus of $250 once approved by the BOT.

The BOT had their annual meeting elections for the BOT officers: chair, vice chair, secretary and member pro tem. The previous BOT officers regained their positions for another year. This includes Joyce Madigan as chair, Phillip “PJ” Thompson as vice chair, Audrey Edwards as secretary and Barb Baurer as member pro tem.

The BOT also approved the authorization for the First Financial Bank of the vice president of business affairs and the director of business services and treasurer to be able to have access to certain financial tasks.

The BOT unanimously approved renaming Douglas Hall as Powell-Norton Hall.

Madelyn Kidd can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].