Black History Month events scheduled for February

Corryn Brock, News Editor

Several events will be hosted at Eastern to celebrate Black History month during February.

Events during the month will focus around the theme “We the People: Redefining Black History.”

According to Eastern’s newsletter, Yolanda Williams, an academic advisor and member of the university’s African-American History Month planning committee, encourages everyone in the Eastern committee and surround areas to partake in month’s events.

“This year’s AAHM theme of We The People: Redefining Black History speaks to people of the African Diaspora not only being an intricate thread in the fabric of America, but also speaks to the fact that Black/African/African-American people are and have always been a huge part of the democratic process,” Williams said. “[And with] their participation in this process comes a redefining of what Black History and Black Excellence looks like in this world.”

So far events have been held discussing systematic oppression, racism, the Black Lives Matter movement, safety and the breaking of socio-cultural color barriers. The women of the Omicron Delta chapter of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. also hosted a workout with the sorority Thursday evening.

On Feb. 10 two events will be held for Black History Month.

Glimpses of Ghana: Maakye! will be held at 2 p.m. and feature Eastern graduate student Frank Gyimah discussing the culture, history and people of his home country, Ghana.

Later that evening at 6 p.m. Eastern’s AAHM committee will host Bougee, Ratchet, Ghetto: Defining 21st Century Black Womanhood. The event will be led by Kelsey Bogard and Tradare Mclaurine.

The event’s theme is described as:

“Black women are often labeled with stereotypes such as boogie, ghetto, or ratchet. Sometimes even angry. This discussion will explain the parallels between the terms bougie, ghetto, and ratchet and the “strong Black woman” and “strong Black independent woman.” We will also discuss how all limit Black women’s ability to emote transparently and further promote self-hate from our own, racism from others, sexism, constant critiques of our bodies, hair, skin tone, and a whole lot more.”

On Feb. 15 Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Will host Black Card Revoked at 6:13 p.m.

Conversations with STRONG: Black Owned. A Lesson in Entrepreneurship & Branding! will be presented by STRONG MENtoring with special guests Andre Weaver and Timery Jackson. The event will be held 6 p.m. Feb. 16.

Eastern’s Africa West percussion ensemble and the Jefferson Elementary School World Drumming Club will will present an event on African drumming on Feb. 18 at 1:30 p.m.

Coloring the Path: Grad School Edition will be held the same day at 7 p.m. and be a conversation on the importance of graduate school, how to navigate applications and give current Eastern graduate students the chance to share their thoughts and opinions.

On Feb. 23 from 2:30-3:30 p.m. an event, Cultural Stereotypes: Perceptions or Reality, will be held to discuss the complexities of cultures and generalizations. International students will also discuss the patterns of culture they belong to. The event will be moderated by Lutete Carlos.

The final event will be Image Awards: Success Is the New Black, hosted by Eastern’s NAACP. The event will be Feb. 27.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].