Polar Plunge to fundraise for Special Olympics

Jonas Castelhano Da Silva, Contributing Writer

Plungers will have the opportunity to support the Special Olympics by taking a leap into the frigid waters of the Campus Pond March 1 during the Glow Polar Plunge.

The Polar Plunge’s mission is to inspire students to get involved in order to raise money for the local athletes of Special Olympics in Illinois.

Vanessa Duncan, Assistant Director of Development of Special Olympics Illinois and Eastern alumna, has been involved with the cause for many years and described it as “different and special” from the other locations where the event is held.

“Eastern’s event is special because it is the only plunge done at nighttime,” Duncan said.

Each plunger raises a minimum of $100 for Special Olympics Illinois, and that money goes to local Special Olympics offices.

Donations will contribute to free sports training, sports equipment, gear and competitions for athletes of different modalities during the year.

Some departments are offering extra credit to students who volunteer for the event.

Duncan said the department of special education, the department of education psychology and some courses in sports and kinesiology field all offer extra credit opportunities, too.

This upcoming plunge will be the second year that Ann Sims, a senior special education major and Glow Plunge committee member, will participate in.

“It feels good to give back and to do something good to the community and have fun with it,” Sims said.

Eastern President David Glassman will be present to welcome the plungers during the opening ceremony.

Students can participate in the Glow Polar Plunge by registering, donating and volunteering.

Check in is at 5 p.m. and the kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Plungers can register online at Special Olympics Illinois as well as register on the day of the event.

Jonas Castelhano Da Silva can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].