Holiday Art Sale to be held Thursday

Hannah Shillo, Associate News Editor

Local artists will be selling their work at the 33rd annual holiday art sale that will take place in the Main Concourse of the Doudna Fine Arts Center starting Thursday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The sale will continue Friday and Saturday in the same location from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.

LeAnn Daubs, office manager of the art and design department, is in charge of the sale for the fourth year and said the main purpose for the sale is to help the department raise money for its students.

“We keep 40 percent of the proceeds, and that is used toward student scholarships,” Daubs said. “This year we have changed it to 20 percent for EIU students.”

There will be a variety of artwork available for purchase at the sale, including pottery, ceramics, prints, clothing and accessories.

Daubs said prices for the items range from $1 to $500, and purchases can be made using cash, check or credit cards.

Some of the artists have provided links to some of their work, which can be found on the art department’s website.

Daubs said though the registration deadline has passed, she will accept forms and until the sale begins Thursday evening.

People interested in selling their art can fill out a registration form on the art department’s website, and Daubs said the process is simple.

“Once they sign up then I send the information that I need to them, they fill it out and send it back,” she said. “We want to get everybody in there that we can.”

Currently, Daubs said there are about 10 students signed up to sell their work, though she expects about half of the artists to be students by the time the sale begins Thursday.

Daubs said the holiday art sale is the perfect time to shop for holiday gifts, especially for those who are usually difficult people to buy gifts for.

“I think there’s a gift for everyone at the sale no matter young or old,” Daubs said.

In addition to the holiday sale, Daubs said there will be other events going on in Doudna to keep people entertained while shopping.

“We are now the school of the arts which is music, theatre (and) art,” Daubs said. “We are trying to combine the weekend events, so music has some shows going on, theatre has something going on that everybody can come and see something else while the sale is going on.”

Some extra events include puppet shows and gift wrapping, Daubs said.

These events have not been offered in the past, and Daubs said she hopes these new opportunities will encourage the Eastern, Charleston and Mattoon communities to attend.

Daubs said she thinks it is important to support local artists, both at Eastern and in the community, and said purchasing from the art sale is a great way to do so.

She said she is looking forward to the weekend long event, but she is especially excited for opening night, as it is usually the night where the most artwork is sold.

“I really look forward to opening night because the people that have always come in the past are usually the first ones here,” she said. “They can’t wait to see what we have.”

Hannah Shillo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]