Column: Struggle of being away from siblings

Dillan Schorfheide, Sports Editor

Being a big brother means you get to boss around the siblings younger than you are, and you get all the perks of being older than them.

For me, I have one younger sibling, my sister Lydia, who is now a senior in high school.

Being away at college opened my mind to some thoughts and considerations I did not completely contemplate before coming to Eastern.

For a long time, when I was in middle school and my sister was four years behind me, I cannot remember a day that went by without us arguing in some manner.

There were definitely good days, but I can only remember the days where we swore we hated each other.

As is the case with most siblings, I presume, we could argue about the smallest thing; that could be a range of anything from she took my toy or I took her television time.

You know, the usual.

At some point, which escapes my memory, we hit a stage where we were pretty mutual toward each other; we did not argue or fight, but we were not the best friends in the world.

Then, finally, once I got in to junior high school and high school, and she was in the later grades of middle school, we finally got to the stage I deep down wanted to always be at: Very close siblings.

We started to talk more to each other, we played games together more, and I think we simply got over that petty sibling stage.

Things were great, and then I was off to college.

Now, I am not one to embarrass my sister (since my parents do that enough), but I heard through the grapevine that she cried when I left the house.

I cannot say that I cried when I left (sorry sis), but I did start to miss one person more than anyone else: Her (besides my dog of course).

My girlfriend will attest to this, but I think the times I have cried about my homesickness were mostly tears shed because I missed my sister.

We were born in that unfortunate four-year span from each other, so that she started high school once I left, and she will start college right as I leave, which means I cannot be directly there for her in those years.

The thing I am sure about is that I want to pass on the knowledge I gained from my time at Eastern and let her know that she can do anything.

I also like to think I gave her my athleticism and competitive spirit and witty abilities.

So, do not worry Lydia, life is not as hard as it may seem sometimes. I know you are tough, and you will be fine.

I love you sis.

Side note: She definitely did not text me last week saying I should do an opinion piece on her.

Dillan Schorfheide is a senior journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]