City Council approves 6 street closures

Corryn Brock, News Editor

The Charleston City Council voted to approve six street closures during its meeting Tuesday.

The street closures approved were:

* 15th Street south of Harrison Avenue to Smith Drive, proceeding west on Harrison Avenue to Seventh Street, then north on Seventh Street to Monroe Avenue, then west on Monroe Avenue to Sixth Street, then south on Sixth Street to Harrison Avenue, then back east on Harrison Avenue to 15th Street and south on 15th Street to Smith Drive from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Oct. 11. for the Charleston High School Homecoming Parade

* Eighth Street from Jefferson Avenue to Monroe Avenue, Monroe Avenue from Eighth Street to Sixth Street, Sixth Street from Monroe Avenue to Jackson Avenue, Jackson Avenue from Sixth Street to Seventh Street and Seventh Street from Jackson Avenue to Monroe Avenue on Oct. 25 from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. for Jefferson Middle School’s annual Halloween Parade

Ninth Street from Lincoln Avenue to Roosevelt Avenue, Grant Avenue between Seventh and Ninth Streets and Seventh Street from Grant Avenue to Lincoln Avenue, southbound traffic on Seventh Street from Madison Avenue to Monroe Avenue, Seventh Street from Lincoln Avenue to Monroe Avenue, Monroe Avenue from Seventh Street to Sixth Street, Jackson Avenue from Sixth Street to Seventh Street, Sixth Street from Monroe Avenue to Polk Avenue, Polk Avenue from Sixth Street to Division Street and Division Street from Polk Avenue to Grant Avenue be closed off for traffic and parking during the requested time for the Homecoming Parade. from 3 a.m. to noon. on Oct. 26 for Eastern’s Homecoming Parade

Portions of Reynolds Drive and McComb Street on Nov. 2 from 9 a.m. to 9:45 a.m. for the Charleston Challenge 40-Mile Relay Race

Monroe Avenue from Sixth Street to Seventh Street, Sixth Street from Monroe Avenue to VanBuren Avenue, Jackson Avenue from Fifth Street to Eighth Street, VanBuren Avenue from Sixth to Seventh Street and Seventh Street from VanBuren Avenue to Madison Avenue on Dec. 7 from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. for “Christmas in the Heart of Charleston”

University Drive, Reynolds Drive, Douglas Drive, and McComb Avenue on Feb. 1, 2020 from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m for the Mid-Winter Run Classic 2020 Race

An ordinance for a conditional use permit for a property at 707 Windsor Road for a daycare center was also approved.

The area is currently zoned as a light industrial district.

The month of October was declared by the council to be “Domestic Violence Awareness Month 2019” for Charleston.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].