Unity Gospel Choir performs Sunday

Valentina Vargas, Multicultural Reporter

The University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union was crowded with students and community members standing and clapping to gospel throwback songs sung by the Unity Gospel Choir.

The Unity Gospel Choir presented the Make Jesus Famous: Throwback concert part 2 as part of the African-American Heritage Month celebration.

Christina Craig, a member of the Unity Gospel Choir, said she was part of the first performance the group did for the throwback concert.

She said it was a fun experience because she was able to worship God with other people like some other schools that attended.

Craig said she joined the group after she went to a performance of the Unity Gospel Choir last year, and now she has been in the choir group for two semesters.

“I know back at home, I sing at churches,” Craig said. “I sing in my choir at church, and so I figured go ahead and join. Have fun.”

All the Unity Gospel Choir members dressed in black outfits; the women wore gold flower pins and the men wore gold ties.

While they sang, the members swayed to the beats of the drums and high and low vocals.

Chelsea Thomas, a health promotion graduate student, said she was brought in to come support the Unity Gospel Choir because she had heard about it when she was an undergraduate student.

She said she had a lot going on during that time, so she could not fit it in her schedule to join, but instead she goes to their concerts to still be a part of it that way.

Timberlynn Fisher, a pre-nursing sophomore major, said she joined the Unity Gospel Choir this semester because it is a home stretch away from Eastern.

Fisher said when she is singing with the group, she feels rejuvenated and happy every time.

She said one of her favorite moments with the group is when they travel back from performances because it gives the group time to “goof around” and get to know each other more personally.

Craig said to her, being a part of the choir has been a very nice experience and everyone is close with each other.

She said when they unite after every concert, it is the most memorable thing to her about the choir.

“We always prepare for our concerts and we fast for them and it is like a bonding experience,” Craig said.

Thomas said she always enjoys coming out to the Unity Gospel Choir concerts and that she is a big fan.

“I know gospel music in general for me is something that is inspiring and encourages me whenever I may be down or am going through tough times,” Thomas said. “So it is an awesome inspiration for the members to all be able to come together.”

Valentina Vargas can be reached at

581-2812 or [email protected].