Use your time and make a bucket list

Carole Hodorowicz, Columnist

The time has finally come: it is the beginning of my end as an undergraduate student at Eastern Illinois University. As a freshman, I never thought this time would come, and before I could brace myself, it snuck up behind me and now has finally matched my pace. To fully enjoy it, I have vowed to do a few things: avoid nostalgia by reminiscing on the past too often, save all the panic I feel for when I actually graduate, and make a bucket list.

As a chronic worrier and organizing fanatic, making lists is one of my favorite things to do. It holds me accountable, and I feel unstoppable after I cross something off one of my lists. 

I want to make my final semester worth something, and in order to uphold that promise to myself, I present to you my underwhelming bucket list. Normally, I try to aim a little higher, but as a busy college student with a cloud of senioritis above my head, I need to be realistic. 

1. Pet a squirrel on campus (I know this is ambitious, but I have seen it done before).

2. Take advantage of the free workout classes at the recreation center instead of just going on the elliptical for 25 minutes and trying to avoid anybody I know.

3. Read a book on the Doudna Steps and see if I feel as cool as everyone else who does it thinks they look.

4. Participate in the Marty’s beer challenge so I can say I almost had my name in some version of a hall of fame.

5. Continue to tell every freshman I run into that Jerry’s is “the move.”

6. Order Chubby sticks (and every dipping sauce, of course) on a regular night with my roommates and see if it still tastes as incredible as it does when we order it after a night out.

7. Make sure my house doesn’t get robbed again (so far, so good).

8. Stop treating my savings account like a checking account (don’t blame me, blame the ease of online shopping).

9. Find a new spot in the library so I can talk on the phone if I want to during a study break without anyone tweeting about how “annoying” and “rude” I am for talking on the phone the library.

10. Be more patient with the people who ride their bikes on our campus. 

Was it as underwhelming I promised? I hope so. My actual bucket list is still in the works, but I wanted to emphasize to all of you how precious and brief the time at Eastern is. And if you’re like me, one of the best ways to use your time is to plan by writing it out and acting on it. 

Carole Hodorowicz is a senior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or

[email protected].