New year, new me: Students share new year’s resolutions

Jordan Boyer

Photo Illustration by Jordan Boyer

Hannah Shillo, Entertainment Reporter

With a new year and new semester beginning, Eastern students shared their goals for 2019.

Holden Boyd, junior public relations major, said his new year’s resolution was to eat better than he did last year.

“Here you’re catching me eating Chick-Fil-A,” he said, “so, as you can tell, it’s going well.”

Boyd said his reasoning for breaking his new year’s resolution was because it was the first day of classes, and it seemed appropriate to take a quick break from his new healthy lifestyle.

He said he intends to add more color to his nutrition.

Te’Jah Green, senior business management major, said she had a lot of new year’s resolutions that she is taking on this year.

“I want to take more pictures of myself, because I don’t have any pictures of myself,” she said.

In addition to her photos, Green said she wants to continue to grow, dress better, travel more and stop eating meat on Mondays.

“I started meatless Mondays today,” she said. “It’s been fine. I had tofu chicken tenders and fries for lunch.”

Green said she made her “meatless Mondays” resolution as a way to live a healthier lifestyle than she already does.

“I go to the gym all the time, and I eat pretty healthy,” she said, “but I’ll have one cheat day and it just continues, so I’m trying to be more disciplined.”

Kristina Kelly, a junior finance major, said her new year’s resolutions include daily yoga, meditation and “dry January,” where she avoids drinking alcohol for the month.

“I haven’t done (dry January) before,” she said. “I’m older, I’m 25, so during the holidays you just drink a little bit too much wine, so I am trying to clear my head and get ready for the semester.”

Nick Nemecek, a junior management major, said he does not have any resolutions for the new year.

“I think new year’s resolutions are pointless and stupid,” he said. “Nobody ever follows their new year’s resolutions after January.”

Nemecek said he feels confident and energized about the new semester after experiencing his first day of classes in 2019.

He said his advice on getting through the semester is to refrain from partying during the week.

Kelly said her advice to students is to stick with their resolutions.

“I think it’s really important to follow through on promises that you make yourself,” she said. “Just follow through and keep a clear head. If you put stuff off until tomorrow, it’ll never happen.”

Boyd’s advice is to be optimistic about the semester ahead.

“Buckle up,” he said. “It’s going to be a fun one.”

Hannah Shillo can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].