Eastern student stable following accident Sunday

Corryn Brock, Associate News Editor

An Eastern student was injured and taken by helicopter to Carle Foundation Hospital following a car accident Sunday night as reported in Tuesday’s edition of The Daily Eastern News.

Chelsy Cunningham, 19, of Danville drove off of the roadway and overturned into the ditch along Route 16 about four miles east of Charleston at 9:36 p.m. according to a press release from the Coles County Sheriff’s Office.

According to Cunningham, the vehicle she was driving flipped end over end four times and she was ejected through the back windshield after the third flip.

Cunningham said her back is fractured, she has eight stitches on her forehead and she has two black eyes. She is currently able to walk for short periods of time, and she said the accident has given her anxiety.

Cunningham said it is still unknown when she will be released from the hospital.

Cunningham was issued citations for driving under the influence, improper lane usage, failure to wear a seatbelt and civil possession of cannabis, according to the press release.

Cunningham said she was wearing her seatbelt at the time of the accident.

Cunningham was driven from the scene of the accident via ambulance to the Charleston Speedway to be airlifted.

The press release also stated the CCSO, Charleston Police Department, Eastern Illinois University Police Department, Charleston Fire Department, Ashmore Fire Department and Lincoln Fire Department responded to the scene.

Corryn Brock can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].