Enjoy every moment while in college, it’s worth it

Dydra Arnold, Columnist

Every year, we as students look forward to the day that summer break starts, and we can say we finished another year of college. Most of us spend that break by doing things like hanging out with friends, working and going on vacation.

The time seems to go by quickly, but by the end of the summer we are ready to start another school year. Many of us look forward to seeing our friends, buying our school supplies and being back on campus.

I was especially excited to return to school this semester. My summer was everything but the traditional exciting time away from school. I had major surgery on my foot in late May, and the recovery process has been quite slow.

Due to the extent of the surgery, I was not able to put any weight on my foot for about 10 weeks. During this period, I spent my time watching an absurd amount of Netflix, reading books and having long phone conversations and visits with my friends.

When those 10 weeks were over, I began physical therapy and was able to start walking in a walking boot. This recovery process has been challenging and I still have a while to go, as full recovery is expected to occur within nine to 12 months.

The excitement of seeing our friends, buying our school supplies and being back on campus usually does not last long because it is quickly overshadowed by our busy class schedules, homework and other obligations.

Many of us are wishing for it to be summer again before first semester even comes to a close. If there’s anything that my situation this summer has taught me, it is that I should appreciate and relish in my time at school more often than I have been.

Obviously, your classes and homework are of utmost importance when attending college. However, it is important not to let them consume you to the point where you are not enjoying other college experiences and activities.

I did not know how lucky I was last year to be able to do different activities and experience new things here at Eastern until after surgery this summer. Now that I am unable to move around and navigate as good as I used to, I have learned to appreciate even the little things that college has to offer.

Be sure to talk to people in your classes, join a club, get involved with your floor and building if you live on campus, join a fraternity or sorority or whatever it is you wish to do.

I am looking forward to moving along in my recovery and becoming more involved again. Enjoy every moment and do not wish the year away. Summer will be here again soon enough.

Good luck, Panthers and have a great year.

Dydra Arnold is a senior psychology major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].