Take advantage of summer break

Jordan Boyer, Editor-in-Chief

After the end of this past school year as a junior at Eastern, I have realized that this summer break is my last summer break that I will ever have in my life.

For college students, summer is the time to take a break from all the hard work as a student enrolled in university. However, you can do much more with your time then just taking a break and sitting on the couch all summer.

Getting a summer job is a great way to use your time off from university. I am still working for The Daily Eastern News as summer editor-in-chief, and I have really enjoyed it so far. I have gained more skills and experience, and I am having great times with the staff here during the summer semester.

Taking up a summer job helps fill the massive amounts of off time during summer break, and you can make some extra money for what ever expenses you need. Also, if you have the means to, use the extra money you earned over the summer to splurge on yourself. You have earned this money if you have no other obligations go crazy with it.

Saving the money you made with a summer job will help yourself in the near future as well. Use it for rent, tuition or even car payments because that stuff gets very expensive over time and your debt will stack up very high very quickly.

Another way to pass the time during the summer, is to do what makes you happy like hobbies or individual passions.

Me being a photographer, I focus a lot on that because I have more free time compared to the fall and spring semesters. I am currently working on personal project involving photography, and it has been a joyous and fulfilling experience.

Everyone has something they are passionate about, and it may not always align with your individual study at university. Take advantage of the time you have currently, because we all know how stressful life is during the fall and spring semesters, especially during midterms and finals.

If you are staying at either your parents or guardian’s house over the summer, spend quality time with them. Because, you know you wont see them as often as you like during the regular school year.

If you are taking summer classes, there are still many things to do in Charleston during the summer. For example, this weekend there is Tour de Charleston and Muse Fest. Both will be extremely fun, and many people will be attending these events. These two events are just some of the many things you can do to get the most out of summer break.

Take advantage of this time, read that book you have been putting off for months, spend quality time with friends and family, take a day to go  outdoors and explore, go see a movie with friends or go to a concert or a musical festival.

If you are reading this and you are in the same situation as me, remember that this is your last summer break in your entire life. You will graduate in the spring, and your life as a student is over. You will start your career, and except for a select some of professions, like teachers, you will never have an extended break in the summer ever again. So live it up!

Jordan Boyer is a senior history major, he can be reached 581-2812 or [email protected]