Spring book sale coming to Booth

Parker Valentine, Staff Reporter

Booth Library will hold their biannual spring book sale next week.

On Wednesday, April 11, Booth Library will be selling hundreds of paperback fiction novels as well as many different academic books in a diverse range of subject areas.

The library will hold the sale from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. if weather permits. If not, the sale, which will be held out of the library’s south entrance, will be rescheduled for a later date.

The biannual sale has been going on for over 20 years, and Bill Schultz Jr., the current chair of Booth’s National Library Week Committee, says their committee organizes the event as part of Library Week each year.

Schultz said the spring sale, which is typically held in April, is a nice experience for locals and students while also providing much-needed funds for the library.

“The sale is always a success in that lots of people enjoy it. It is a nice event for the campus community and beyond,” Schultz said.

He says funds gained from the spring sale are put into a special fund for further improvements.

“The money we make from the book sale goes into a special fund that can be used, as needed, to purchase books and materials, as well as to help fund other items and projects that enhance library services for our patrons,” Schultz said. “These types of needs vary and evolve.”

As somebody who spends a large amount of time working at the sale personally, Schultz says no particular genre stands out in terms of sales.

“Most would probably agree fiction tends to do well, but you never know what people will want to buy, which is always interesting to observe,” Schultz said.

Schultz said he attributes the diverse array of sales and purchases to the diverse and ever-changing stock that the library receives for each sale.

Books can vary at each sale due to the fact that all items sold have been donated by the campus and local communities.

This is the first of two book sales held by Booth Library this school year. The second, a fall sale, was spearheaded by Booth’s National Library Week Committee less than five years ago and has become the younger sibling of the spring sale.

The News desk can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].