Eastern to be first to see National Geographic documentary series

Jasmine Terry, Contributing Writer

Eastern will be the first in the nation to get to watch a new documentary series by the National Geographic.

The geology/geography department will host a pre-screening of “One Strange Rock,” narrated by Will Smith and produced by Jane Root and Darren Aronofsky.

“One Strange Rock” is set to be shown from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Thursday in Room 3040 of the Physical Science Building. There will also be light refreshments provided, such as soda and snacks, for those who attend.

The national broadcast of the first episode is on March 26.

Diane Burns, chair of the geology/geography department, said it hopes to bring the community of Charleston together, including students, faculty and retirees, to watch this pre-screening and see the different seculars of Earth.

“One Strange Rock” allows the viewer to experience the Earth through the views of 10 astronauts who are featured in the series.

Burns said this is a moment for Eastern to take in, since the university will be the first to show it.

The department of geology/geography does not host this type of movie showing often, Burns said.

The last time it did was 2 years ago, when it hosted a screening of the movie “Chasing Ice,” about global warming. Burns said the pre-screening is a one-time only event.

“I want people to just enjoy the movie and understand the Earth to see how beautiful the earth is,” she said.

Jasmine Terry can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]