Never be afraid to take chances

Liz Stephens, Columnist

This Sunday I had my first concert being in both Camerata and Concert Choir under Richard Robert Rossi’s direction. As a lot of people know, I was originally a music major when I came to Eastern and had a music scholarship for music education with a vocal focus. I always had dreams of being a music director but caught myself too scared to take chances during my first semester as a music major.

Singing has and always will take precedence over a lot of things in my life since I have been singing since I was about three years old.

Although I’m not a music major anymore because I decided to take a leap of faith into the journalism world, I learned a lot from my transition between majors. First big lesson, and a lesson I am still learning, is how to let go and take chances.

Switching majors to journalism was a complete chance and shot in the dark in the first place, but I grew from it and ended up discovering that I wanted to pursue a career in law.

One of the biggest chances I’ve taken recently has been joining Camerata this semester.

I had a lot of nervousness because I stopped learning music theory and Camerata covers Gregorian Chant, which is completely foreign to me.

Journalism isn’t as risky to me as it is getting up on a stage singing for people. Writing, photography and other journalism skills are things that come naturally after a while, but honestly if you’re a bad singer you cannot really develop your skills into having a voice like Beyonce.

Sometimes your voice cracks in front of an audience in the hundreds and you have to accept it and move on. Singing is something where if you aren’t prepared for the music, there is no “winging it” or just trusting you are a good musician–that’s how you end up fired.

I remember how during my first rehearsal in Camerata I felt out of place. I knew I could keep up with sight reading, but the music in the ensemble was unlike any other style I had previously done.

I was overwhelmed after that rehearsal and doubted how successful I would be and wondered if Rossi would be disappointed or regret that he let me into the group.

I had to accept being uncomfortable because it was something new and ended up growing from it and now having full confidence singing with the group.

Taking chances help us grow and discover our talents that we would have not known otherwise. I’m in no way saying that every student needs to do a dramatic major switch or join all of the singing ensembles to grow and learn about themselves, but they should analyze what they are doing simply because it is comfortable. Some of the things people want to do in life, they won’t do simply because as humans we don’t like to feel uncomfortable and don’t like not being the best in whatever we are doing.

Sometimes it’s good to fail when doing new things, and I think it can be good to “suck” at something because it gives you opportunity to become great at whatever it is.

Liz Stephens is a junior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].